12.20.2012

Pertaining to Stuffed Salmon

In Valentine's Day this year, we went out to a fancier-than-usual restaurant and I got stuffed salmon.  It was really quite marvelous, despite the fact that I do not not normally go for salmon or goat cheese (the two primary ingredients).  It turned out very tasty!

Fast forward ten months.  I had frozen salmon fillets in the freezer (I'd had a coupon and they were on sale... Don't be fooled - I'm way too cheap to normally buy salmon) and goat cheese that someone had brought to a party and let us keep the leftovers.  As I pondered what to do with it, the dish I had for V-Day came to mind and I decided to try to recreate it.  Having been ten months ago, I really don't know if I did, but what I came up with wound up being a pretty sweet meal.  So here it is:

Stuffed Salmon

Salmon fillet (1/person)
Sea salt
Goat cheese (2 heaping T/person)
Dijon mustard (1 T/person)
Olive oil
Thyme (I used dried)
Pepper
Brown sugar

  1.  Preheat the oven to 350.  If using frozen salmon, thaw and pat dry.  If not, pat dry.  Sprinkle salt on both sides and rub in gently.  Let it sit for a few minutes and then run the fillets under cold water, getting rid of any excess. Pat dry again.
  2. Carefully put a slit in the center of each piece of fish that goes most of the way through to the other side.  Cover a baking sheet with foil.  Drizzle and rub around a little olive oil on the foil to disperse evenly.  Place the salmon on the sheet.
  3. In a bowl, whisk together the mustard, a tiny bit if olive oil, a bit of thyme, pepper, and a pinch of brown sugar.  Separately, crumble the goat cheese and then fill the center of the pieces salmon with the cheese.  Sprinkle any remaining cheese on the tops, and then pour the mustard mixture on top of the salmon and slightly spread to even it out.
  4. Cover with foil and bake for about 13 minutes, until they are done.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels