9.09.2013

Of Writing and the Me Monster

Now that our house is back into the swing of the school schedule (it's more like a tire swing spinning around and around than a leisurely back-and-forth-pump-your-feet type of swing), I have been trying to prioritize the various aspects of my life.  What is energy sapping but worth it?  What is energy sapping and not worth it?  What keeps me going and brings joy to those around me?  What can I do with my time that blesses and uplifts my husband?

I decided in May that I wanted to build regularly writing into my schedule once the fall started up rather than just fitting it in when I felt inspired.  For a few years now, I have been tossing around an idea for a book on a subject that published media seems to be severely lacking.  It seemed like now would be a good time to build the discipline of regularly writing to coincide with this whole book endeavor.

In the two weeks that have passed, I have quickly realized the big temptation that is present when the idea is to capture thoughts into words on a topic that little has been written... With the eventual intent that others will read.  That temptation is to allow, as Brian Regan* so perfectly puts it, the "Me Monster" to influence my attitude.  The Me Monster manifests itself by suggesting, sometimes subtly, other times with zero subtlety, "Wow, you're pretty important, aren't you?"  "Yeah, yeah.  I AM pretty special.  I am sure something else, huh!" I don't mean to say that what I am writing is NOT important, but what is becoming more evident is that whenever we offer our own opinion on a given subject, whether through conversation, a blog post, a potential book manuscript, it can be easy to think much higher of oneself than is realistic.  Yes, what you have to say matters, but it isn't the end-all-be-all-trump-card of opinions.  Please pray that God would continue to grow me through humility.

*if you don't know what I am talking about, see the first minute or so of the following stand-up gem:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels