5.16.2012

Where's My Cup of Water?

I'm going to lay all of my cards on the table: It has been a discouraging couple of days.  I don't want to allow this blog to convey the sense that I have all of my hypothetical ducks in a row, donning ironed Oxford shirts and matching khaki pants.    Quite frankly, I'm a mess.

And I feel like it now, more so than usual.  A 10-pound bag of onions sits on my counter, still unchopped, unsliced, and unfrozen a week after being purchased for those reasons.  My sweaty, dirt-stained soccer socks are still in a bag by the door from my game on Monday evening.  The floors of every room look like our apartment is home to five children, not two adults.  I just killed a spider on the armrest of the couch with the remote control.  It's nearly 5AM-- I gave up trying to sleep about two hours ago.  Conclusion: I'm a tired mess.

I am very aware that the contents of my encouragement-cup seem to have mysteriously evaporated... either that, or it sprung a leak when I wasn't looking.  I've started to serious question whether what I'm doing is actually what I'm supposed to be doing because discouragement has slammed me like an unmarked dead end.  Hence, I am a tired, soul-parched mess.

There is something freeing about stating that, simple though it may be.  It serves as a reminder that I am nothing special.  How many other people do I know who could use a cool, refreshing swig of encouragement in their uphill life marathon?  Forget that whole "misery loves company" stuff-- I need to remember that in filling others' need for encouragement, mine starts to re-accumulate drops as well.

But I'll still be a mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels