7.27.2012

But Why?

"Well, I liked the huge master bedroom, the short ride to work, and the enormous kitchen, but I would rather have two sinks in the bathroom, darker kitchen cabinets, and granite countertops," summarized the House Hunter from the television screen. A now-familiar thought ran through my mind while watching the show as I drifted off to sleep last night. The thought that has been increasingly on my mind as WE ourselves have been in the middle of house hunting: "But why?"

 Sure, okay, you want a master bedroom the size of a small cruise ship, but why? You want to be able to have a two-minute crawl to work in the morning, but why? You discount homes without granite countertops, but why? The bullet points go on and on, but the question remains the same-- why? What is your motive? Why is this important to you?

I have been lately considering my own motives for not just WHY I look forward to owning a home, but also WHY I desire certain qualities. Often the answer is along the lines of "I like this... It will make me most comfortable... This is most convenient... I would be a stones throw away from Wegmans..." In the end it boils down to MY preferences, MY comfort, MY hopes and wants. Is that really how I am commanded from scripture to live my life? In light of my own superficial desires and convenience? Did Jesus live in a matter that idolized comfort, convenience, or personal preferences for hardwood floors? Rather, my motive ALL the time ought be to glorify God and love others in what I do, and that includes how I hope and dream. How would our house search change if we were searching for a home that would be most effective in serving others and not just ourselves? Where would our home be situated and what would it look like if we had OTHERS' needs in mind, rather than simply our own?

 In this narcissistic age of the "you can be (or HAVE) anything you want" mantra, the things we make priorities are really completely superficial. Worshipping Jesus means you set aside yourself for something so much greater. Worshipping Jesus, for me and in this case, may mean setting aside my desires of IKEA slam-proof drawers in favor of a location that will better foster hospitality for people from church. Worshipping Jesus may come down to getting a home with (groan...) wood panelling simply because it will open up our budget to allow for more room to give monetarily. Worshipping Jesus is not a pithy bumper sticker saying. It is really a life-makeover.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels