11.30.2018

Santa Won't Be Shimmying Down Our Chimney

Unlike most of my peers, I did not grow up believing in Santa Claus.  He was never a real or magical character in our house.  I have never mailed Santa a letter (although as an assignment during elementary school, I had to write Santa a letter and felt very silly writing to a make-believe person).  I've never sat on a kindly old bearded stranger's lap and told him of my wish list.  Never have I ever feared receiving coal in my stocking. 

As I've been pondering what I want holiday traditions in my own house to look like, I default, as I think many of us do, to what is familiar.  I have assumed, without giving a tremendous amount of thought as to why, I wouldn't teach my children about Santa.  Until this week, the passing reasons for this were that, 1) I don't want to lie to my children-- not even about whimsical fictitious characters (Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, and certainly not that creepy ol' Elf on the Shelf), and 2) I didn't grow up believing in any of them. 

But recently, I've evaluated why I am uncomfortable with the idea of instilling in my children a belief about Santa Claus.  I do not judge or snub my nose at parents who choose differently.  I don't have the "right" way.  I do think, however, that it's important to challenge our own ways of thinking.  Tradition for tradition's sake isn't a good enough reason TO do something... or to NOT do something. 

Here's what I've come up with: I don't want to bring Santa into my children's Christmas traditions because the commercial ideas surrounding this jolly old soul are completely opposite of the real, true focus of Christmas.  No, I don't think Santa is evil and I'm not a "all things secular are synonymous with raging war on Christmas" individual.  Slow down.  Hear me out.
 
With Santa, you gain access to him once a year; 
   with Christ, His presence is always with us.
With Santa, you tell him what fleeting thing you want each year;
   with Christ, He knows your greatest need before you even ask.
With Santa, if you behave, you are entitled to presents; 
   with Jesus, there is nothing you can do to earn the gift of salvation. 
With Santa, you act nicely in order to receive
   with Jesus, you receive and then respond in overflowing grateful devotion and obedience.
With Santa, you receive gifts if you're good; 
   with Jesus, you receive the ultimate gift because you aren't good.  .  
With Santa, he comes to bring presents;
   with Christ, His life was the present.

Isn't one of these two characters infinitely much more magnificent?  I don't want to spend precious moments of the few advent seasons I have with my little one focusing on a fable... when Christ's birth and life is so much richer. 

As we progress through this month, I challenge you (and myself) to consider meaning and purpose in your celebrations rather than going through the rote motions.  Our enjoyment of this season will be deeper and richer for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels