1.17.2012

Da Coca-Cola Curling Cake

Tonight was evening numero dos in the Cake Decorating class I'm taking. Although I have picked up a couple of tips, most of it has been review so far. I have felt like the sheepish-high-school-goody-two-shoes-who-actually-does-her-homework-and-pities-the-teacher-for-having-to-endure-the-lack-of-class-participation-but-who-doesn't-want-to-be-the-know-it-all. For instance, last week went a little something like this:

Teacher: "Get out your cookies. What did everyone bring?"
"Sugar cookies."
"Snickerdoodles." Teacher: "Ooh, I love making those." "Oh, they're from Giant. I just put them in this container to make me feel better."
"Sugar cookies. But from ShopRite."
"Sugar cookies."
"Sugar cookies. But my mom made them."
"Umm... Maple Oatmeal Chocolate Chip."

Teacher: "So who in here makes their own icing."
*Chirp... chirp*
(My hand goes up).
Teacher: "Oh good!" (and proceeds to have a conversation with me on how I make it)

Teacher: "What's everyone's favorite kind of cake?"
"Chocolate."
"White."
"I don't like sweets."
"Chocolate."
"I don't have a favorite."
"Polynesian."
(Teacher asks for recipe later on).

So today went a little something like this:

Teacher: "Okay, pull out the design patterns-- either the hamburger, the cupcake, or the fish....... unless you brought your own." (She looks straight at me). "You brought your own. Didn't you?"

She's learning :-)

At any rate, here was tonight's product. I didn't have time to put the handles on the stone border or add a broom on the left behind the stone, but here's product number one.




This was my first time experimenting with using soda in food. Boy oh boy, am I EVER a believer. I used it in both the cake and the chocolate filling, and it really brings out a unique and seriously fantastic taste.  I was limited to the two techniques we've done in the class so far, but I would love to experiment with using gel to make a shiny curling ice in the future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels