1.09.2012

Regarding Life, the Universe, and Everything

We are reading through Douglas Adams' five-book "trilogy," and to hopefully give a little lift to your day, I thought I would share a couple of quotes that tickled my fancy.

From "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:"

"In those days, spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women, and small, furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small, furry creatures from Alpha Centauri."

"But the plans were on display."
"On display? I had to go down to the cellar to find them!"
"That's the display department."
"With a torch."
"Ah, well the lights had probably gone."
"So had the stairs."
"But look, you found the notice, didn't you?"
"Yes," said Arthur, "Yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying Beware of the Leopard."

From "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe:"

"Look," said Zaphod, "I'm up to here with cool, okay? I'm so amazingly cool, you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip, I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis."

"You are so unhip, it's a wonder your bum doesn't fall off."

"Well, you're obviously being totally naive," said the girl. "When you've been in marketing as long as I have, you know that before any new product can be developed, it has to be properly researched. We've got to find out what people want from fire, how they relate to it, what sort of image it has for them." "Stick it up your nose," Ford said. "Which is precisely the sort of thing we need to know, insisted the girl. "Do people want fire that can be fitted nasally?"

"The ship was rocking and swaying sickeningly as Ford and Zaphod tried to wrestle control from the autopilot. The engine howled and whined like tired children in a supermarket."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels