3.20.2012

Letting Your Yes Be Yes

This morning on Today Ann Curry briefly interviewed Kirk Cameron, and part of the interview centered around his comments regarding homosexuality on Piers Morgan's show. At one point, she asked him, "Why do you make these comments when you know people will have this type of negative reaction?" I was deeply impressed by his response. He stated that he was surprised BY people's surprise since his public stance hasn't changed for fifteen years, among other things.

His gracious response to the criticism reminded me of 1 Peter 3:15: "In your hearts, Honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect." Regardless of his positions, I admire this man for his steadfastness in his faith and for clearly, but respectfully pointing to the source of his faith. He isn't apologetic, but he also isn't "Bible bashing."

I was also reminded of Matthew 5:37: "Simply let your 'yes' be 'yes' and your 'no' be 'no'..." Authenticity can be difficult, particularly when you know what you believe is unpopular, but what a beautiful characteristic it is. When I speak with someone I know is genuine, I know they are going to be straight with me. Whether or not you agree with him, it is undeniably admirable that Kirk Cameron doesn't change his stance on what he believes based on what is popular or when the cameras are off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels